Sunday, July 28, 2019

I lost by knockout but I must go on

I admit it.
I lost.
I lost by knockout.
  A couple of jabs to the face
                  and a cross straight to the liver
  that one hurt, a low blow, okay
                  but very effective
I didn't see it coming
I was stunned
   collapsed to the floor
   struggled to stand up before the protection count
   and I was driven to the ground
   once
   twice
and I stayed down
   exhausted
   in pain
And then the shower,
getting dressed
   and sneaking out
                 in solitude
licking my wounds
crying in anguish and shame
But then
   I remembered who I am
And I stood up,
and as I've done a thousand times
I stood up, looked around,
the sun was shining
and I kept walking
and I keep walking
and I will be walking
till the day I die.

Eytán Lasca-Szalit © July 27 2019

             

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete