Working at the Elson’s gift shop on the Fontainebleau
Hilton shopping arcade. It’s quite a slow Saturday afternoon in a hot, humid day,
hundreds of customers come and go
elsewhere. I stop to catch a glimpse at the store or stagger through the door,
startled by senseless sensor beep. The radio is on, WRLN, Folk and Acoustic
Music is on the air, Jambalaya (On The Bayou) lingers in the air.
A short, middle-aged man comes in, wearing a navy blue
jogging suit. He looks like Peter Falk. We exchange greetings. He sounds like
Peter Falk. In fact, he sounds like Columbo. I stay where I am, management
policy says I should follow customers around but I keep reading a book, sitting
by the cash register.
The man in the jogging suit looks around the Murano
pieces and the obscenely overpriced wooden pelican and talks to me.
“How’s Mr. Elson doing? You know I went to high school
with him, in Atlanta. Back then I used to live in Atlanta, you know..”
He keeps talking for about 20 minutes. Always sounding like Columbo, or like Peter Falk in a John Cassavetes movie reading from a Columbo side.
He keeps talking for about 20 minutes. Always sounding like Columbo, or like Peter Falk in a John Cassavetes movie reading from a Columbo side.
Vinnia, the regional manager got furious when she
found out I didn't take a picture of him and didn’t even ask him for an autograph
either.
© Eytán Lasca-Szalit, December 2017
No comments:
Post a Comment